POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Wrapping around objects (or knowing an object's shape) : Re: Wrapping around objects (or knowing an object's shape) Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:30:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Wrapping around objects (or knowing an object's shape)
From: Bob Hughes
Date: 6 Jun 2005 04:40:50
Message: <42a40c12$1@news.povray.org>
"Mueen Nawaz" <m.n### [at] ieeeorg> wrote in message
> Not a beginner to POV-Ray (first experience in 1995).

Gee, that's just one year less than me. Give or take several months, maybe.
Been such a long time.

> I'm working on making a cake in POV-Ray. For the "base" of the cake,
> I'm using a simple superquadric ellipsoid (basically a cylinder with
> slightly rounded edges). Now I want to put the icing.

You're CSG of carved cylinders would probably work okay if seen from a
distance away.

You might want to try using a blob, cobbled together using #while loop and
randomized positions and scales.

I'd type one up here as an example to explain better but I'm only stopping
in real quick here. Hopefully you know of these things already anyway.
Negative strength component parts could be useful, too. I'd use a cylinder
component (sorry, I still call the blob pieces this name even though that
changed long ago) for the main icing cover then create indentations using
negative parts, and finally add dripping sides with positive strength
spheres (scaled/rotated appropriately).

Bob Hughes