POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Wrapping around objects (or knowing an object's shape) : Wrapping around objects (or knowing an object's shape) Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:28:57 EDT (-0400)
  Wrapping around objects (or knowing an object's shape)
From: Mueen Nawaz
Date: 6 Jun 2005 00:22:44
Message: <42a3cf94$1@news.povray.org>
Hi,

	Not a beginner to POV-Ray (first experience in 1995).

	Not sure I can call myself a beginner by experience, but I surely am a
beginner by virtue of ability. To confuse matters further, I've posted
in the advanced newsgroup...

	I'm sure these have simple answers, but my brain gave up.

	I'm working on making a cake in POV-Ray. For the "base" of the cake,
I'm using a simple superquadric ellipsoid (basically a cylinder with
slightly rounded edges). Now I want to put the icing. I just want some
material that sort of wraps around the top of the base, and extends a
little bit down the sides, but with quite a bit of variation in how far
it extends down.

	I couldn't think of any simple way without having to resort to
meshes/patches using external software (of which I know how to use
none). Any ideas?

	I'm guessing one possibility is to have a thin closed cylindrical shell
(using a CSG difference on two cylinders - one inside the other). Then
using some further CSG to get that variation I desired, and then placing
the shell open end down onto the base. Then fiddling a bit with the
normal so as not to make it look of uniform thickness all around.

	Hmm...That actually sounds like it may work (thought of it only while
writing this). Anyway, still curious to hear if anyone has
better/simpler ideas.

Thanks.

--
When an agnostic dies, does he go to the "great perhaps"?

                   /  \/  \ u e e n     /  \/  a w a z
                                   anl