POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : White gas : Re: White gas Server Time
1 Aug 2024 18:28:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: White gas
From: Slime
Date: 3 Jun 2005 20:41:26
Message: <42a0f8b6$1@news.povray.org>
> In this case the faked scattering can brighten (or completely wipe) some
> shadowy areas, which can be inacceptable for some scenes. Also the gas
> (media) does not take into account the environmental lighting (for the
> scattering effect), because it does not scatter (diffusely reflect) light.

I'm not *exactly* sure what you're saying here, but I'm pretty sure that, if
scattering media interacted flawlessly with radiosity (and so was lit up
exactly correctly), it would be (theoretically) possible to sample it in
terms of density and illumination (as long as we're talking about scattering
type 1), and use the density data for an absorption media and the
illumination data for emission media, creating exactly the same result. So
what I was suggesting was that you guess at the illumination data and use it
in emission media to do just that.

Yes, this may brighten up some shadowy areas. But that would happen anyway
with scattering media that responded to radiosity: light bouncing off a
surface would brighten the media (that is, reflect off it) and then that
would hit the shadowed areas, brightening them.

> Will POV-Ray support at least type 1 scattering for radiosity environment?

I don't speak for the POV Team but AFAIK there aren't any plans for this. I
would also worry about its speed if it were implemented.

 - Slime
 [ http://www.slimeland.com/ ]