POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : clear glass with transparent liquid inside... : Re: clear glass with transparent liquid inside... Server Time
1 Aug 2024 18:25:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: clear glass with transparent liquid inside...
From: Alain
Date: 3 Jun 2005 15:43:28
Message: <42a0b2e0$1@news.povray.org>
lordcontrary nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2005-06-03 14:31:
> Okay basically I'm attempting to render a beer mug with beer in it.
>

> Using wings3d I constructed the Mug model...
>
> Using model of mug I created the fluid in the glass... ( I extracted only
> the polygons on the INSIDE of the glass to do this...)  then... I exported
> both meshs into .obj files
>
> ------
>
> Using Poseray I rewound the triangles and normals on the the fluid for the
> mug... this was needed -concidering how i obtained the fluid volume in the
> first place from the mug triangles.
>
> Using Poseray I converted both models to povray files...
>
> -----
> Using povray 3.6.1 I rendered the Mug & mug fluid...
>
> RESULTS:
>
>   -The Mug by itself is just great... transparent... nice... cool.
>
>   -The Fluid by itself... just as nice.
>
>   -When the fluid is in the mug, you can see the fluid color ONLY if veiwed
> from birds eye into glass.
>
>   If I enlarge the volume of the fluid to be slightly larger than the
> interior volume of the mug ( but still inside the glass of the mug ) then I
> can see the color of the fluid...  BUT this is obviously flawed.
>
> ------------
>
>   So my question is what have i done wrong?  ;)
>
>   other notes:
>
>      glass is "hollow"
>      have tried hollow and not hollow fluid...
>
>      As long as the mesh for the fluid is up against the mesh for the glass
> then I can see no color... but this is the accurate physical
> representation....
> ERRRRRR
>   Anyone else ever try this...
>
>   I will post some code if asked but note my data files for geometry are to
> large to post... I would have to generate something smaller.
>
> TIA lordcontrary

You are experiencing the soincident surfaces problem. When 2 surfaces meet exactly,
you can't tell
whitch one you meet first.
You alreadi tried using a larger iner shape, try a smaler scale increase as your
increase may have
been to large.
Try scaling down by a very small value.
As you are using meshes, try rotating the incide object. Something like rotate 0.1*y
can be enough.
If you post your source, try ZIPing it with maximum compression, it should compress
well as the data
set is quite limited: 0..9+"."+","+"<"+">"+"-"+some letters and the space.

Alain