POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : Accents in a string for 'uv_mapping' : Re: Accents in a string for 'uv_mapping' Server Time
26 Jun 2024 02:38:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Accents in a string for 'uv_mapping'
From: Mike Raiford
Date: 1 Jun 2005 09:37:43
Message: <429dba27$1@news.povray.org>
Lionel wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> I'm working on windows XP, and I want to use French accents in a string with
> 'sys'  specific command for .bmp format in uv_mapping.
>
> But I have some problem with it :
>

> with acute) letter strangely
> ..
>
> I read that I must specified :
>
> global_settings {
>  charset utf8
> }
>
> In order to work with special character like the French accents.
>
> It work well for 'text' object (like in example ttf1.pov)
>
> text { ttf "C:WINDOWSFontsarial.TTF", "Mu00e9tal" ...
>
> But not with 'sys' command in uv_mapping !! (I have got the same problem
> with 'gif' 'jpeg' and the others format.)
>
> I have tried several things but in vain ( u00e9 ==  small letter e with
> acute ) :

> texture {
> uv_mapping pigment {
>  image_map{

>  }
> }
>
> POV Ray : Parse Error : Error opening BMP image ' C:WindowsTextureM l.bmp'
>
> Why M...l ?

> -------------------------------------
>
> texture {
> uv_mapping pigment {
>  image_map{
>   sys "C:WindowsTextureMu00e9tal.bmp"
>  }
> }
>
> POV Ray : Parse Error : Error opening BMP image
> 'C:WindowsTextureMu00e9l.bmp'
>
> Ok so 'u00e9' is read as this.. But it is not what I want ...:o(
>
> -----------------------------------
>
> #declare Text =  "C:\Windows\Texture\Mu00e9tal.bmp"
>
> texture {
>  uv_mapping pigment {
>   image_map{
>   sys Text
>  }
> }
>
> POV Ray : Parse Error : Error opening BMP image 'C:WindowsTextureM tal.bmp'
>

> -----------------------------------
>
> And at last
>

> texture {
>  uv_mapping pigment {
>   image_map{
>   sys Text
>  }
> }
>
> POV Ray : Parse Error : Error opening BMP image 'C:WindowsTextureM l.bmp'
>

> character ???
>
> --------------------------------
>
> Has someone an idea ?
>
> Any suggest that could help me is welcome.
>
> Lionel

Try charset ISO-8859-1 (Western) ... This may or may not solve the
problem, but its worth a shot, since I believe this is the charset most
windows files are saved in. It could also be a limitation of POV-Ray in
and of itself. Question: Does it work on PNG or JPG files? If so, it
could be a limitation of the BMP library POV-Ray is using.

--
~Mike

Things! Billions of them!