POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Hey - new here, with a simple image map question : Re: Hey - new here, with a simple image map question Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:25:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Hey - new here, with a simple image map question
From: Chris B
Date: 29 May 2005 06:17:38
Message: <429996c2@news.povray.org>
"Electrode" <nomail@nomail> wrote in message
news:web.42979be92728c309f52ef2a80@news.povray.org...
> I have an image map which I am trying to apply to a cube.

From your code snippet it looks like you're trying to apply it to a single
wall  using a box of thickness 'RoomWallThickness' in x.
So as Tim explained the image will be applied to the end surface in the xy
plane and the main surface of the wall (which lies in the yz plane) will
just show strands of colour as the image passes through the length of the
wall. To fix this bit of the problem you can rotate the texture by 90
degrees around the y axis with 'rotate 90*y'.

> The problem is that when I try and apply the image map to
> the cube, it comes out either stretched beyond recognition, or only
showing
> part of the image instead of the full image.

Once you've rotated the image you can scale it as required. You can add a
'scale' to the pigment or to the texture. By default the original image will
take up 1 POV-Ray unit in height and 1 POV-Ray unit in width. with the
bottom left of the image positioned at the origin.

> It also doesn't tile, while I'd like it to.

Odd. According to section 6.7.12.7 'Bitmap Modifiers' in the docs it should
tile by default unless you specify the 'once' option (and it does when I do
it).

> I wish I could post up pictures to show you - I'm not sure whether
pictures
> can be posted up here.

You can post images on povray.binaries.images

> Thanks in advance for trying to help.
> Electrode

Hope this helps.

Chris B.