POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : 48-bit to 24-bit Dithering : Re: 48-bit to 24-bit Dithering Server Time
28 Jun 2024 02:18:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 48-bit to 24-bit Dithering
From: Ryan Lamansky
Date: 27 May 2005 09:01:06
Message: <42971a12$1@news.povray.org>
Daniel Hulme wrote:
  > Human eyes can see far fewer than 2^24 colours. It is just that the
> representation we use is inefficient. We have more luminance resolution
> than chrominance resolution, but as you say, RGB does not reflect this.
> That is why I suggested using a different colour basis like YUV rather
> than simply pumping up the bits.

YUV would be great, but commodity hardware always uses 24-bit RGB for
the final output.

So... the idea is to make 24-bit RGB images look as good as possible.
The 256-shades-of-gray-even-at-24-bit-RGB problem is the most obvious
way the issue can be seen.  Some dithering algorithm from a higher
BPP-level or perhaps directly from POV's internal floating point color
could very effectively compensate.

-Ryan