POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Rippling water : Re: Rippling water Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:30:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Rippling water
From: Ross
Date: 13 May 2005 16:18:20
Message: <42850b8c$1@news.povray.org>
"Stephen McAvoy" <mca### [at] aolcom> wrote in message
> Any ideas on how to simulate rippling water? I've tried the ripples
> pattern in a normal but I'm not getting the light reflections I want.
> (Think paintings by Whistler and Turner) I don't want to use a mesh
> and isosurfaces seems like overkill.
>

> Regards
>         Stephen

Averaging multiple normals is usually what I try to do. Scaling them
appropriatly and if it's something like ripples, move its center offscreen,
scaling it to be more like parallel lines instead of concentric circles.

Or average pigments instead of normals and use the result as a heightfield
or a function for an isosurface.

Googling for "painter turner whistler" resulted in some impressionistic
paintings. I'd guess you'd want a blurred reflection thing which could imply
the "micronormal" technique.