POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : mipmapping : Re: mipmapping Server Time
30 Jul 2024 00:28:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: mipmapping
From: Warp
Date: 12 May 2005 08:08:47
Message: <4283474f@news.povray.org>
> The original statement i replied to was:

> "Is there a way to specify mipmaps in povray or can povray do it by
> itself?  The only interpolation schemes i found are 'bilinear' and
> 'normalized  distance'."

> And if you think this is a perfectly valid and legit question i can only
> note we have a different view here.

  That question is basically the same thing as "does povray support
mipmapping?". What's so terribly wrong about that question that it deserves
such a heated reply as yours?

> The correct way to ask the question Tim gave the answer for would have
> been "rendering a scene with image maps gives unexpectedly bad results
> for me - what can be done about this?".  Instead wrong assumptions were
> made how the solution for the problem should look like.  My reply was
> clearly referring to the way the question was asked and not personally
> rude against the poster.

  I think it was. You told him directly that he doesn't know what he is
talking about and that he should study some raytracing theory before
asking stupid questions.
  Perhaps you didn't *intend* it to be rude, but it was nevertheless.

> > and now you are nitpicking about the "usefulness" of a limited
> > trilinear interpolation which is rather odd given that there's at least
> > one other scanline-rendering feature in povray which is equally limited,
> > namely uv-mapping, and you are not complaining about its "usefulness".

> I don't see anything that relates uv-mapping to scanline rendering

  You are concentrating way too much on one term in my text which was
in no way the point I wanted to express. Add the word "typical" before
"scanline-rendering" if you want.
  My point was not about whether uv-mapping is a scanline-rendering
technique or not, but that uv-mapping is similar to the would-be
trilinear interpolation in that it would be possibly limited to
only certain objects or whatever. However, no-one is complaining about
the limitations of uv-mapping; thus why would limitations in
trilinear interpolation be any different? You are talking as if it
would be useless if it can't be used *everywhere* in all cases.

> I really don't understand why you want to force a controversy here.

  The controversy is that you quite clearly expressed that implementing
a trilinear interpolation of image maps which would work everywhere is
too difficult to be feasible and that a trilinear interpolation which
is limited to only certain cases would be mostly useless.
  I disagree with the latter opinion.

--
                                                          - Warp