POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : mipmapping : Re: mipmapping Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:23:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: mipmapping
From: Tim Nikias
Date: 11 May 2005 14:22:11
Message: <42824d53$1@news.povray.org>
POV-Ray doesn't support mipmaps. What you normally do to avoid aliasing is
use (*tadaa*) antialiasing.

There are two methods in POV-Ray, I tend to use the adaptive one to make use
of higher but more controlled sampling. Aside of that, there'll sure be a
way to script your own kind of mipmapping (switching the texture dependant
on distance to the camera, for example), but I don't have a script "off the
shelf" for that.

That aside, once you switch on arealights, radiosity, reflections,
refractions and media, I doubt that your realtime images look better (or
that they're even realtime then). ;-P

Regards,
Tim

--