POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Back-raytracing for real : Re: Back-raytracing for real Server Time
2 Aug 2024 02:22:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Back-raytracing for real
From: Chris Cason
Date: 10 May 2005 22:11:15
Message: <428169c3$1@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson wrote:
> what they're suggesting is that through their techniques, you could
> reconstruct a hidden surface using the reflections off of a non-reflective
> surface, but I'm not totally convinced that that's possible given the
> dispersal of light.

that's what they do in the card trick, though I understand that the general
technique relates to reconstructing the view of a subject lit from the place
that the camera used to be, and viewed from where the light was, with no
other light. In that case (in theory), the hidden parts of the object (the
ones not visible in the original image I mean), while technically visible
from the new camera location, would however be in shadow and thus not
revealing any detail not originally visible from the camera's point of view.

-- Chris