POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-Ray 3.7.beta.3 available (fix) : Re: POV-Ray 3.7.beta.3 available (fix) Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:31:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray 3.7.beta.3 available (fix)
From: Orchid XP v2
Date: 4 May 2005 16:27:35
Message: <42793037$1@news.povray.org>
>   According to my experience method 2 gives higher quality results at
> bigger threshold values than method 1.
>   Using a very high number of samples is reasonable only if there are
> *tons* of subpixel-sized details. This is usually rare.

Infinite checkered plane has infinitely small squares.

But they cover such a *tiny* area of the surface...

Similar situation with (say) reflections on a cylindrical shape. Lots of
small details; you definitely need good AA for it to look right. But I
don't think I have *ever* been above depth 4...

It would, of course, be trivial to do a back to back compare to see the
results...