POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Performance wrt number of threads : Re: Performance wrt number of threads Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:25:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Performance wrt number of threads
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 4 May 2005 15:47:09
Message: <427926bd$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   By the way, I noticed that if you increase the number of threads
> it takes longer for povray to stop rendering (when the stop button
> is pressed). The more threads, the longer it takes.
>   Is this normal and to be expected?

Stopping cleanly isn't trivial in a multithreaded C++ program as there is no
language support for threading.  It has to be done trowing an exception,
which in turn requires a specific point to do so.  That point is a call the
thread has to make every now and then.  It currently does it only once per
pixel in every thread,and the more threads you start the longer it takes,
especially when doing anti-aliasing.  We are going to look for a better
place (probably a test for each ray) and hopefully this will improve
response time.

	Thorsten