POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Camera Tracking? : Camera Tracking? Server Time
1 Aug 2024 20:11:43 EDT (-0400)
  Camera Tracking?
From: Tim Nikias
Date: 4 May 2005 15:31:56
Message: <4279232c$1@news.povray.org>
I've learned today of ARToolKit, an "Augmented Reality" application which
will take the input of an USB Webcam, try to find a certain marker-image in
it and will place a 3D-Object at it.
(http://www.hitl.washington.edu/artoolkit/) Works nice for, as the name
says, Augmented Reality: overlaying a realtime image with some
cg-enhancement.

Anyways, I was wondering, as this thing is supposed to be for realtime and
such, if there's a similiar freeware tool out there for still image, e.g. I
could take a photo of something, get some camera data back from the
application, and (probably with some conversion) feed it to POV-Ray to
automatically place an object at the proper location for later composition
into the photograph. Anyone know of any such thing? Or maybe even for
pre-recorded videos? The tool Rune once used for his holographic projector
(known worldwide for the attention it received ;-) isn't available anymore.
Well, at least the free version isn't, IIRC, though I don't know the name to
check on it again...

Regards,
Tim

--