POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : UV mapping? : Re: UV mapping? Server Time
1 Aug 2024 20:09:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: UV mapping?
From: Tim Nikias
Date: 4 May 2005 15:08:07
Message: <42791d97$1@news.povray.org>
> I got a little sidetracked and started playing around with Wings3D (on a
> mac).  The program works great, but I couldn't get the pov export plugin
> work, so I wrote a program to parse a .obj file and output mesh2.

Hey, that's something I could have use for as well! The modeller I'm using,
Silo, doesn't have proper UV-support yet (still under development), but I
can export to obj and map it with UV-Mapper Classic. I know that I can use
Poseray to convert the obj to mesh2, and I know that I could just as well
write a small app for the entire thing myself if I'd get around to install
C++ and work myself into the language a little... BUT studies leave me
little spare time, and since you've already written a small app for it...

Does it just take an obj-file and export the proper mesh2 (say, if there are
uv-coords, it will export those to the mesh2, if there are normals, it will
export those, etc.)? No additional "inbuilt" work like cleaning up vertices
or such? If so, would you mind sendingit to me via email, or upload it here
to the newsgroups (in the proper group of course, I'd guess binaries.misc)?

Regards,
Tim

--
"Tim Nikias v2.0"