POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Raytracing in 1525 AD : Re: Raytracing in 1525 AD Server Time
1 Aug 2024 20:14:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Raytracing in 1525 AD
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 3 May 2005 18:17:18
Message: <4277f86e@news.povray.org>

d57nnr$hr5$1@chho.imagico.de...
> Note this is more 'scanline rendering' than raytracing.  For raytracing
> you would position the 'string' to one pixel of the 'image' after the
> other and look into the 'scene' where it points at.  Here the string is
> positioned in the scene and from there you look where it intersects the
> image.

Well, given the technology shown here, it couldn't be "raytracing" stricto
sensu obviously. The interesting thing is that these people were already
creating pictures using analog rays instead of digital ones.

I couldn't find my book but here's a more detailed explanation:
http://www.vam.ac.uk/images/5166-popup.html

"A pointer is attached to a thread running through a pulley on the wall. The
thread represents a ray of light passing through the picture plane to the
theoretical eye-point denoted by the pulley. As one man fixes key points on
the lute, his assistant records the vertical and horizontal co-ordinates of
the thread as it passes through the frame, and plots each new point to
create a drawing. The principle is correct, but the procedure is complicated
and rarely produced good results. "

G.