POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Raytracing in 1525 AD : Raytracing in 1525 AD Server Time
1 Aug 2024 20:12:16 EDT (-0400)
  Raytracing in 1525 AD
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 3 May 2005 05:35:07
Message: <427745cb$1@news.povray.org>

raytracing, here's a link to an engraving describing this very, very early

on the Art of Measurement).
http://www.columbia.edu/cu/lweb/eresources/exhibitions/treasures/html/55.html
This page doesn't explain much in English, but I have a translation in a
book (that I don't have here right now). IIRC, the string is attached from
the painted object to the wall, and the intersections between the string and
the screen are recorded on paper, forming a shape that the artist uses as
basis for the final painting or drawing. I don't remember exactly how the
"pixel" is recorded, but I think it's by using some sort of cross-hair
device attached to the frame (what the guy on the right is doing). I'll
check later.

And yes, it took time ;)

G.