POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Textures and mesh2 objects : Re: Textures and mesh2 objects Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:24:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Textures and mesh2 objects
From: Alain
Date: 1 May 2005 10:29:24
Message: <4274e7c4$1@news.povray.org>
povray nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2005-04-30 15:33:
> Alain <ele### [at] netscapenet> wrote:
>
>>povray nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2005-04-30 10:56:
>>
>>>Is there an easy way to texture a large (4 million+ triangle) mesh2 object
>>>from an image file?  I'm trying to do some hi-res mars renders from
>>>elevation data.  I can build the model, but I haven't thought of an easy to
>>>to get the right colors onto it.  I have a .png mars texture, but it
>>>doesn't want to play nice with the mesh2.  If someone could point me to an
>>>example it would be much apreciated.
>>>

>>As your mesh2 is realy only a hight field, and your image probably a top-down view
of the same area.
>>Can you simply the image_map as on a plane? Rotate your mesh to match the plane of
the image_map,
>>translate the image so that both origins match.
>>
>>Alain

I tough that it was only a section that could be assimilated to a bumpy plane. My bad
assumption.
> actually, it's not a height field, it a mesh2 that is created using data for
> the whole planet, it's basically a bumpy sphere... but I think I've thought
> of a way to texture it... It's not gonna be nice, but it'll work.

OK! Then use a warp{... spherical } to map your image onto the spherical mesh. You can
adjust the
positioning using rotation. Read the documentation section: 3.5.12.6.5  Mapping using
warps

Alain