POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Problem with Photon's : Re: Problem with Photon's Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:21:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Problem with Photon's
From: Bryan Heit
Date: 25 Apr 2005 20:34:48
Message: <426d8ca8@news.povray.org>
Alain wrote:

> I think that the problem in in the lathe you used. Even if you used the
> hollow option, it's effectively "solid", in that it don't have any open
> space inside of it.
> Try using a difference of your lathe with itself scaled
> <0.9,1.01,0.9>(smaller diameter, very slightly taller to remove
> coincident surfaces). You can also make the lathe come back to make the
> inside empty.

This has made the globe look much nicer.  Even better, I can switch  to
a quadratic spline to speed things up.  Unfortunately, it does not solve
the problem of the lamp projecting light onto the ground, or casting
it's own shadow.

> Another thing, if all elements of a CSG object share the same texture
> and finish, it's preferable to assing your texture once to the whole
> object, not to each of it's elements. It makes smaller, easier to read
> and maintain code, it also save memory when rendering, possibly gaining
> some little speed. You can always use some textures for individual
> elements if you want to have some that have a different texture.

I usually do this, but as you can probably tell from my code I
guestimagted the shape of the lamp, and haven't had a chance to clean up
the code yet.