POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : POV-Ray for Windows version 3.7 beta 1 available : Re: POV-Ray for Windows version 3.7 beta 1 available Server Time
28 Apr 2024 21:23:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray for Windows version 3.7 beta 1 available
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 19 Apr 2005 16:01:10
Message: <42656386$1@news.povray.org>
Francois LE COAT wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thorsten Froehlich wrote:
>
>>> A Mac version is going to be made available within the next few weeks.
>>

>> To be more precise, the current goal is the first half of May.
>> However, please note that this is just a goal and not a promise yet.
>

> Tiger (10.4 OS) will be out, and POV 3.7 will take benefit from it :)

Well, but please don't hold your breath about 64-bit addressing ;-)  That is
only available to non-GUI programs (that is, i.e. database servers and soon
who really benefit from 64-bit addressing and don't need a GUI), so for
POV-Ray to use it, the GUI frontend and backend will need to be split apart
completely and run as two independent programs that communicate with each
other.  As few users have systems with that much RAM (less than 2% according
to the collected stats), I cannot possibly justify holding back a beta
release to develop the means to do this.  On the other hand, there are more
than ten times as many users with dual-processor Macs, who will benefit from
the multithreading.  It is more realistic in about a year from now to see
something like 64-bit support.  Sorry!

	Thorsten