POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : finite texture : Re: finite texture Server Time
1 Aug 2024 22:15:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: finite texture
From: Jim Charter
Date: 12 Apr 2005 08:38:06
Message: <425bc12e$1@news.povray.org>
Steely wrote:
> In our german POV forum a guy came up with this question and no one of us
> was able  to solve it. So I decided to forward it.
> // -----------------
>
> The task is to make a big stone wall made by boxes, half a unit high and a
> unit wide. The single stones shall have a marble texture that way, that
> every stone is slight different from the others. But instead of building
> the wall out of 500 single stones, he wants *one* box with a brick pattern
> *and* every brick shall have a different look.
I remember Gail Shaw did something along those lines varying the colors
of the bricks using the warp statement but I could never figure out what
she did.  It still may have invovled a fixed number of variations.

Another possibility might be to cleverly nest two gradient patterns such
that the horizontal gradient forms and alternating occurance of a
material.  Each of those is then defined as one of two vertical
gradients one of which is displaced.  Or perhaps use two properly scaled
Cells pattern for the vertical with a texture map of different marbles.