POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : finite texture : Re: finite texture Server Time
1 Aug 2024 22:16:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: finite texture
From: Lance Birch
Date: 12 Apr 2005 07:53:25
Message: <425bb6b5$1@news.povray.org>
"Steely" <nomail@nomail> wrote in message
news:web.425bb18bc9122b16420f83140@news.povray.org...
> In our german POV forum a guy came up with this question and no one of us
> was able  to solve it. So I decided to forward it.
> // -----------------
>
> The task is to make a big stone wall made by boxes, half a unit high and a
> unit wide. The single stones shall have a marble texture that way, that
> every stone is slight different from the others. But instead of building
> the wall out of 500 single stones, he wants *one* box with a brick pattern
> *and* every brick shall have a different look.
> // -----------------
>
> Any Ideas ?

What about a material_map?  Granted it would involve creating an image with a
series of differently coloured bricks (one colour for each different texture for
the bricks), but this would facilitate the use of n textures for the bricks and
allow the desired variation.

The image could be generated by creating a simple rendering of a plane with a
brick pattern and no anti-aliasing, taking the result into an image program and
filling each brick with a different colour.

That's the best solution I can think of off the top of my head, but perhaps
someone else can think of a more elegant solution.

Lance.

thezone - thezone.firewave.com.au