POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : WindowsXPpro and Low CPU Utilization : Re: WindowsXPpro and Low CPU Utilization Server Time
29 Jul 2024 20:22:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: WindowsXPpro and Low CPU Utilization
From: Mike C
Date: 10 Apr 2005 10:24:13
Message: <4259370d@news.povray.org>
"jdgonko" <jdg### [at] comcastnet> wrote in

> "Slime" <fak### [at] emailaddress> wrote:
>> > This is a dual Xeon (3.2ghz) system and I want to see what it can
>> > do!!
>>
>> POV-Ray doesn't make use of multiple processors. Sorry!
>>
>> Since you said 25%, I'm going to assume that those processors have
>> hyperthreading. That means Windows essentially thinks you have four
>> processors, and POV-Ray can only use one, so it says it's using 25%.
>>
>> You can't get higher than that though because POV-Ray runs in a
>> single thread. I think there are patched versions, though, which make
>> use of multiple threads, and you can get better performance...
>>
>>  - Slime
>>  [ http://www.slimeland.com/ ]

Another technique that usually works is to copy the scene file multiple
times (e.g. 2, 4) with slightly different names (e.g. scene.pov becomes
scene1.pov and scene2.pov).

Then, open two instances of POV-Ray (you'll need to disable the keep
single instance option in the GUI).  Set one to render one file, and set
the other to render the other, but use commandline or INI options to get
them to render only part, e.g. 50% of the file (e.g. top half, bottom
half).  Set the instances to use different processors (I believe you only
have fine tuning on this in XP Pro; XP Home won't let you choose) and then
wait for the renders to finish.  Finally, use a 2D Graphics Editor (e.g.
MS Paint, the GIMP, Photoshop, etc) to put the two rendered halves
together to get one whole image.  I believe that there were scripts to do
this kind of thing on multiple computers over e.g. a network.  *shrugs*

I've always wondered, isn't there supposed to be a way to make two or four
processors look like one really fast one to the computer?  I think that
generally that kind of thing is usually hardware-based, but it might be
useful in your situation, especially if you're trying to do an animation
or render repeatedly.