POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.competition : Why I won't enter PoVComp again. : Re: Why I won't enter PoVComp again. Server Time
27 Apr 2024 01:09:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Why I won't enter PoVComp again.
From: Nicolas Calimet
Date: 5 Apr 2005 12:56:33
Message: <4252c341$1@news.povray.org>
> If there will be more povcomps perhaps the requirements for
> entering should be clearer. How should the final product be produced?
> I think it's more honest to state from the beginning that
> a image that is the product of totally self-made objects will
> score higher then others. Meshes, CSG e t c. Nothing wrong with it.
> But if it is the case, say it. Perhaps even write it into the limitations;
> "We don't allow third-party meshes". Or something like that. Problem solved.

	There was no problem at all if anyone took the time to read
carefully the guidelines that were published almost as soon as the
povcomp website was up:

http://www.povcomp.com/guidelines/

	Particularly the following paragraph:

"Modeling

      * Negative: low detail meshes in foreground, figures floating above ground
or penetrating it, sharp edges where rounded ones are expected in nature, obvious
use of bump mapping, etc.
      * Positive: detailed selfmade models, realistic algorithmically generated
stuff like trees, plants, cloth, etc.

Special focus on how much is self made and what scene elements are based on
3rd party models."

	- NC