POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.competition : Why I won't enter PoVComp again. : Re: Why I won't enter PoVComp again. Server Time
5 May 2024 05:17:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Why I won't enter PoVComp again.
From: Stefan Persson
Date: 3 Apr 2005 21:16:13
Message: <4250955d$1@news.povray.org>
----- Original Message -----
From: "scott" <sco### [at] spamcom>
Newsgroups: povray.competition
Sent: Wednesday, March 30, 2005 11:56 AM
Subject: Re: Why I won't enter PoVComp again.

<cut>
> As I understood it, that point was quite far to the pure-SDL end of things
> (ie you couldn't just use 10 meshes from modellers, they made it quite
> clear
> it was to show off POV's features).  Also, I understood that the idea was
> generate a world class image, so the judges would be judging the images,
> not
> the code.  Of course they would check the code afterwards to ensure it
> was't
> just a bunch of meshes and texture maps, but this wouldn't influence the
> ranking unless an image was disqualified for not being past the point.
</cut>

Yes, I understand the point of the competition. Show off the renderer and
the tools that comes along with it. I have no problem with that.

Still..

I do have a hard time understanding the point of the comment
"just a bunch of meshes and texture maps". For several reasons:
1. What is the most important thing: The product or the process?
As I see it, the product is the only thing that matters. How you did it
is irrelevant. Sure, you can spend 200 hours creating #macros for this and
for that and I can understand the fascination in that too. But, if you can
do
the same job, with a bit of experience, with a modeller in 20 minutes and
come up with atleast the same result, then what's the point?
And if you think a bit about it, this competition said itself that is was
the product that mattered.

2. "a bunch of meshes" is not as simple as it sounds.
I am in the process of learning 3ds MAX 7. I chose between MAX and
Maya but since MAX seemed to have a more forgiving learning curve
I stuck to that. I can tell you if you haven't tried it; it's no magic tool.
First of all there are numerous things you have to adjust and tinker with
to get a god result. Secondly, mesh creation is an art form in itself.
Go to 3dcafe.com f.i. and have a look at some of the tutorials how
things are done. Then come back and say "just a bunch of meshes" again.
That sounded a bit more harsh then I meant it, but I think you understand
what I mean.

3. Texture shading is also a kind of an art. Not throwing a jpeg at a
sphere..
that's not my point. But to master UV-mapping is definately not as simple
as that. Have a look at newer games where they use low-poly models and
use the texturing to enhance the graphical effect. I mean, most of the games
nowadays produce better graphics in real-time then I do with POV-Ray.

But, yes, I understand the point of the competition. I truly love to see the
work of you guys that master POV. My hat of to you.
And POV-Ray can with experience produce results as good as the
professional rendering packages. But I don't like comments that
look down on how things are done in the professional world because I think
it's ignorant and silly and just sounds envyous.

Just MHO ;)

Regards,
Stefan