POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Outputting raw pixel data? : Re: Outputting raw pixel data? Server Time
1 Aug 2024 22:21:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Outputting raw pixel data?
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 1 Apr 2005 01:57:30
Message: <424cf0da$1@news.povray.org>

Xns962B2D575F64Eraf256com@203.29.75.35...
> jgr### [at] freefr news:424bfe63$1@news.povray.org
>
>> Using the RAW format (+FR switch)... but it was dropped from latest
>> official. I do not know if Megapov kept it.
>
> I few times suggested such extension as usable, and when finaly they added
> it, then it was droped :( why in the gods name?

The RAW format that was supported from POV-Ray 1.0 to 3.0 and dropped in
3.1. was just a regular 3 byte per pixel, 24 color data, and NOT a double
precision format. It was dropped because it was considered useless.

From the old raw.c code in POV-Ray 2.0:
*  (header:)
*    wwww hhhh       - Width, Height (16 bits, LSB first)
*  (each scanline:)
*    llll            - Line number (16 bits, LSB first)
*    rr rr rr ...    - Red data for line (8 bits per pixel,
*                       left to right, 0-255 (255=bright, 0=dark))
*    gg gg gg ...    - Green data for line (8 bits per pixel,
*                       left to right, 0-255 (255=bright, 0=dark))
*    bb bb bb ...    - Blue data for line (8 bits per pixel,

--
http://www.oyonale.com