POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : --- : Re: Earth Texture gradient woes Server Time
1 Aug 2024 22:22:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Earth Texture gradient woes
From: Slime
Date: 23 Mar 2005 12:12:44
Message: <4241a38c$1@news.povray.org>
You shouldn't post images in this group; you should post them in
povray.binaries.images and either put your question in there or ask your
question here, referencing the other post.

> left to right. But the problem is how do I get the starting point of the
> gradient to be the extreme left or right edge of the sphere and not the
> middle, without taking the image maps with it? I've tried 'translate
> <-EarthScale,0,0>' in a few places, but they all seem to take the
> texture map with it (producing a pinched spherical mapping, since it's
> now centered off the side of the sphere). How can I move the gradient
> without moving the texture? Anyone know?

Two options: You can either translate the Day and Night textures by the
opposite amount:

texture {
gradient x
scale EarthScale*2
texture_map {
[0.4 Day translate<EarthScale,0,0>]
[0.6 Night translate<EarthScale,0,0>]
}
translate <-EarthScale,0,0>
}

Or you can use pigment_pattern to translate the *pattern* without affecting
the texture itself:

texture {
pigment_pattern {
    gradient x