POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : about those explosions... : Re: about those explosions... Server Time
1 Aug 2024 22:15:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: about those explosions...
From: Florian Brucker
Date: 14 Mar 2005 07:33:10
Message: <42358486$1@news.povray.org>
Zeger Knaepen wrote:
> I need a fluid dynamics simulation system.
> [...]
> Is there anyone who would be willing to help me?

I, too, thought about implementing something like that for POV-Ray
(simply because we already have several nice particle/mass-spring
systems, but no real fluid dynamics). Here's why I haven't started yet:

- Real Life (as always) and other ongoing projects
- Fluid dynamics are pretty hard math (as you already mentioned)
- Speed would propably be a main issue, so the whole thing would
   end as a separate C/C++ program (don't like that idea) or as
   a patch for POV-Ray. While I really want to learn how to patch
   POV, I have frozen that project to POV 4, which will come with
   a totally rewritten source code.

There's a 2D fluid dynamics solver somewhere on the web, it's source
code can be obtained for a $10 fee IIRC (I'm afraid I don't have the URL
handy ATM, but I can send it to you in about two weeks). That's probably
how I would have started.
But there are a lot of free ressources on the topic, too, as you may
have also noticed. During my short research, I found interesting stuff
on Wikipedia and, of course, on MathWorld (mathworld.wolfram.com).

HTH,
Florian