POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : AVI or MPEG? : Re: AVI or MPEG? Server Time
1 Jul 2024 05:05:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: AVI or MPEG?
From: Warp
Date: 10 Mar 2005 15:23:04
Message: <4230aca8@news.povray.org>
ABX <abx### [at] abxartpl> wrote:
> IMO posting DIVX vs. MPG is the same kind of
> courtesy like posting HTML vs. plain text emails.

  That comparison is flawed.

  An HTML email is bigger than a plain text email, which is one reason
why it is bad.
  However, a DivX is *smaller* than an MPG of the same quality, which
often is a valuable feature (specially if you are paying per minute
or per kilobyte).

  "Serious" companies don't adhere to any "courtesy" principles when
distributing videos. They freely use proprietary closed formats
(which often can be played only with proprietary software available
only for a few systems unless you want to try some third-party hacks)
such as .rm, .wmv and .mov, completely disregarding people who can't
view those formats (or don't want to because they hate the players).

  (I think that from those I can watch wmv files in this sparc/solaris
system, but certainly not thanks to microsoft. The others are hopeless,
I think.)