POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.competition : Why I won't enter PoVComp again. : Re: Why I won't enter PoVComp again. Server Time
5 May 2024 14:45:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Why I won't enter PoVComp again.
From: Jim Charter
Date: 4 Mar 2005 08:59:40
Message: <422869cc$1@news.povray.org>
dan B hentschel wrote:
> Jim Charter <jrc### [at] msncom> wrote:
>
>>You are right but he is adding nothing that is helpful or new while
>>subtlely reinforcing the prejudice against mesh modeling.  We, on the
>>other side of the table, are willing to let it drop. You also have shown
>>admirable constraint.  Why can't he?
>

> I'm very sorry. It was not my intention to be at all derogatory or divisive.
> In fact, I was hoping to create a common frame of reference to promote

> that this was a dead topic, or that I would be re-opening any wounds. I
> should have looked at the time stamps before responding. Again, I apologize
> if I offended anyone with my post.
>

> who are skilled at third-party modelers. I, myself, have tried Wings3D and
> failed miserably. I am always very impressed (sometimes awestruck) with

> trying to belittle those who use mesh modelers.
>
>  - dan B hentschel

Apology accepted and I apologize in return, doubly so because your
apology may not have been strictly necessary and I, meanwhile, knowingly
exploited your good will. But you may not have understood how I see your
attempt at a reasoned argument as just one more reinforcement of a
prejudice. In the end, I didn't know any other way to make my point than
to attack your intention.  Your discussion wasn't so bad imo, it did
focus on external v internal rather well.  But my point is that the idea
that certain modeling techniques are internal, and therefore more
virtuous somehow, is being used to validate what amounts to prejudice
against other creative paths, which are equally supported by the
software.  Also, it seems to me you explored the "external" pole of your
axis with more assurance than you did the "internal" pole.  What would
it take to make a picture with a very extreme definition of "internal",
and would it really amount to virtue?  Also a splinter issue here is
raytracer support for using empirically collected
data.  If a photo is used to produce a texture map, this is univerally
deplored.  But if satellite data is used to generate a model of the
earth's surface, maybe it's not so bad?  They look like the same thing
to me.