POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.competition : Why I won't enter PoVComp again. : Re: Why I won't enter PoVComp again. Server Time
5 May 2024 07:27:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Why I won't enter PoVComp again.
From: Shay
Date: 3 Mar 2005 15:18:57
Message: <42277131$1@news.povray.org>
dan B hentschel wrote:

Don't want to drag this out into a huge debate, but I just "have" to
point out that you have made a very good case for *another* argument,
but not this one. The problem some entrants had is *not* that POV-Ray
models were (apparently) judged more favorably, but that it was not made
clear this would happen. In fact, more the opposite.

See this from Gilles Tran:
,--------------------------------------------------------------
| Well, the guidelines say "You are allowed to use any tool
| you want for modeling, texturing etc.". About modeling, they
| say that "self-made models" will be seen in a positive light,
| but it's vs non-self-made models, not 3rd party modelers!
`--------------------------------------------------------------

Note the exclamation point. Now, contrast this with the judges'
comments, and Warp's comments in this group, which basically say:

(paraphrased)
I (Warp) think modeling things in a modeler is trivial.
I (Warp) think giving more credit to POV models is right.
But don't worry, IT DIDN'T HAPPEN!

Now can you see why some 3rd party modeler users might be upset? This
has nothing to do with the standards themselves. If you want to write a
reply, I have set follow-ups to off-topic. No use continuing here. If
someone still doesn't get it, they're not going to.

  -Shay