POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Creating 16-bit HFs from C++ : Re: Creating 16-bit HFs from C++ Server Time
2 Aug 2024 06:14:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Creating 16-bit HFs from C++
From: Peter Duthie
Date: 2 Mar 2005 02:10:44
Message: <422566f4$1@news.povray.org>
Ok, I see what you're talking about now.  Yes, as we're talking about
meshes, the non linear transformations occur on the verticies and
normals.  I agree that there is indeed no way to apply a non linear
transformation to edges and faces in conventional meshes as they are
represented as a relationship between verticies, not as independent
entities.  When you think about it, even subdividing meshes isn't
applying a non linear transformation to edges and faces, as what is
actually happening is a linear transformation plus one or more
additional edges and faces per original edge and face.  The only way to
do this would be to change the format of the mesh such that the edges
were represented as an algorithm rather than a relationship, and then it
would not be a mesh anymore, more like a collection of Bezier patches.

Peter D.