POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : uv mapping for isosurfaces - when? : Re: uv mapping for isosurfaces - when? Server Time
2 Aug 2024 00:17:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: uv mapping for isosurfaces - when?
From: Kevin Wampler
Date: 1 Mar 2005 16:30:54
Message: <4224df0e$1@news.povray.org>
Christopher James Huff wrote:
> And assuming you finally figure out how to automatically define a
> mapping, you'll just get something that doesn't make any sense to a
> human.

I agree that many mappings one might pick would be unintuitive, but that
does not mean that it's impossible to define a good mapping.  For
example, having the u and v coordinates follow the lines of principal
curvature I imagine would often give pretty good results (provided one
takes care of the ambiguities in this definition, like where to put the
origin, what to do with planar regions, etc).

That said, I wholeheartedly agree that it would be difficult to
implement such a system, and that it would probably render unreasonably
slowly anyway.  This is probably the sort of thing that would be better
solved by having a scripting language for materials, so that ambitious
users could program in their curvature-based uv mapping or whatever
suites their needs for the object they wish to model.