POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.competition : Why I won't enter PoVComp again. : Re: Why I won't enter PoVComp again. Server Time
18 May 2024 17:08:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Why I won't enter PoVComp again.
From: scott
Date: 28 Feb 2005 08:26:30
Message: <42231c06$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
> scott <sco### [at] spamcom> wrote:
>> I was
>> under the impression it was to show off to non-POV people how good
>> an image POV can create.
>
>   Basically any renderer supporting meshes and simple lighting models
> can render impressive images if the models and textures are superb.

True, but the real skill lies in being able to decide which way to do
things.  Do you use CSG/mesh? Do you use textures in Photoshop or SDL
pigment? etc etc  In most situations there are many ways of achieving the
same result, there is little point in choosing a method that will take much
more of your time up, it will merely waste your time that could be better
spent on improving your scene further.

Anyway, as with all competitions that are "judged", nobody is ever going to
agree 100% with the results, that's just the way it is.  Everyone had the
same set of rules to work by, it is impossible that it was unfair in any
way.