POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.competition : Why I won't enter PoVComp again. : Re: Why I won't enter PoVComp again. Server Time
18 May 2024 19:14:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Why I won't enter PoVComp again.
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 28 Feb 2005 08:15:04
Message: <42231958@news.povray.org>

news:4222fc01$1@news.povray.org...

> But as I said, maybe I misunderstood (most likely) and there was some
> element of creating a good "scene" as well as a good final image.  I was
> under the impression it was to show off to non-POV people how good an
image
> POV can create.

It's a POV-Ray competition called POVCOMP, so it's a given that how well
POV-Ray is used is unavoidably part of the judgement, cf the mission
statement about the "full potential of POV-Ray" (*). It's also a given that
the final image has to be world-class. The top images, and particularly the
5 top ones, fulfill both expectations so that non-POV people can be wowed
because these are good images that stand on their own AND because they're
made with a free raytracer.

The winners won because they made damn fine pics, and they were able to make
them with POV-Ray because they are skilled artists. Replace "POV-Ray" with
"oil painting" and it would be the same. It's really that simple, and
doesn't warrant further exegesis/speculation/interpretation.

G.

(*) indeed, a competitor entered 2 images that were just a Rhino model
exported to POV-Ray without any change to the default camera, lighting and
texture. These images were not considered to be valid entries.

--

http://www.oyonale.com