POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Hair test (WIP, MPEG1 352kb) : Re: Hair test (WIP, MPEG1 352kb) Server Time
8 Jul 2024 09:17:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Hair test (WIP, MPEG1 352kb)
From: Tim Nikias
Date: 28 Feb 2005 04:51:09
Message: <4222e98d$1@news.povray.org>
> Tim, are you still working on this?  I played with hair about a year ago.
> You can see one of my old movies at
http://hansel.pinerypointe.net/hair.avi

Nice one! No, I've stopped working on them, as their purpose was to simply
cover an object with hair/fur, not animate it. Additionally, like you said,
rendering and simulating thousands of hairs will get very parsing intensive,
which in most cases will just take too long to be a consideration unless
you've got several PCs behind your back and the time to let them crunch on
the job.

The macros to do this can be found on my website, they're the Surcoat Macros
to sample and object, and the Surcoat2Hair macro, which take the samples and
"hair" them.

Regards,
Tim

--