POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.competition : Why I won't enter PoVComp again. : Re: Why I won't enter PoVComp again. Server Time
17 May 2024 22:05:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Why I won't enter PoVComp again.
From: Warp
Date: 25 Feb 2005 07:07:08
Message: <421f14ec@news.povray.org>
St. <dot### [at] dotcom> wrote:
> >  The goal of the competition was to show what POV-Ray is capable of.

>    "AS A RENDERER". Get it yet?

  Yes, as a renderer which supports things like isosurfaces, spheresweeps,
CSG of any solid primitives, procedural textures, algorithmical
programming etc.
  Projecting a bunch of meshes to the screen is not showing what POV-Ray
is really capable of.

>      The main goal of povcomp was promotion in a 'pov only' way.

  You clearly have an obsession with this "pov only" thing. No matter
how many times you are told that imported models are ok (as long as
the entire scene does not consist of them) and how an image with
some imported models could have won, you still repeat this "pov only"
thing over and over like a parrot.
  The winner image just happened not to have any imported models at
all. So what? If for example a fish would have been modelled in Wings,
do you think that would have dropped the image from first place? If
you think "yes", then you are delusional.

> >  However, regardless of that, and believe or not, that was not the main
> > reason for choosing The Last Guardian as winner. It was simply, in the
> > opinion of most judges, the best image. Even most of the judges not
> > using POV-Ray had this opinion.

>    And I agree, undoubtedly. However, I will still say that I have seen as
> good in the IRTC. Don't try to talk me down Warp.

  You are not making any sense here. I don't understand what you mean.

  What do you mean by "I will still say that I have sen as good in the
IRTC"? Firstly you haven't even mentioned IRTC before this, and secondly
I don't understand what you mean by that. As good as what? And what does
that have to do with anything?

> >  Not true. If you had made a definitely better image than The Last
> > Guardian, you would have won.

>      BS, and you know it.

  Ah, I didn't realize you were part of the judging team and that you
know what were the principles by which the images were judged. In fact,
you know them better than me. Perhaps I was part of a different judging
team?

  You are calling me a liar. Is that really what you want?

> the competition would have been very hard against superb
> > images using more of POV-Ray's features, but the main judging principle
> > was still how the image looks. The method of production was only
> > secondary.

>   Exactly.

  So you agree with me now? Now you do agree that your image could have
won if it was clearly superior to the other images, regardless of the
method of production?
  You are not making any sense.

>   No, but you, (povray), asked, (pleaded?). I entered within the rules - but
> there was *no way* I would win using an image made up of Wings models only,
> however good it would be.

  Yeah, you know this thing better because you were a judge and I was not.
Or I am just a liar. And you know I'm lying because... because... well,
just because.

> >  It's you who seem quite naive. Were you expecting to win because making
> > your image "costed you money"?

>   I'd never expect to win in any contest, but trust me, it cost me money. I
> 'paid' in time to enter this comp. I could have been doing other things at

  Oh, I'm sorry. Perhaps we should give you a refund?

> >>   Say what you like, I know I'm right.
> >
> >  Self-righeousness is the way to go, yeah.

>    Yeah. Self-righteousness in the 'right' way. I have no problem with that.
> And nor did other big artists in their day.

>    I'm *still* right.

  You are still an idiot, it seems.
  You are not making any sense, you are unable to give rational arguments
about your claims, you have an idiotic principle of not listening to any
arguments against your claims and you are calling people liars just because.