POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.competition : Why I won't enter PoVComp again. : Re: Why I won't enter PoVComp again. Server Time
17 May 2024 19:56:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Why I won't enter PoVComp again.
From: St
Date: 25 Feb 2005 01:22:10
Message: <421ec412@news.povray.org>
news:421e665d@news.povray.org...
> St. <dot### [at] dotcom> wrote:

>  The goal of the competition was to show what POV-Ray is capable of.

   "AS A RENDERER". Get it yet?

>  POV-Ray is more than just a renderer. Modelling your entire scene
> in a third-party mesh modeller and your textures in photoshop and then
> simply using POV-Ray to get those meshes on the screen in basically
> the same way as any other renderer would do is certainly not the best
> way to show what POV-Ray is capable of.
>  This really was a *POV-Ray* competition, not the IRTC. If you just want
> to use POV-Ray for projecting your meshes and textures to the screen, then
> you can do it in the IRTC or any other computer graphics competition.
> The main goal of povcomp was not that.

     The main goal of povcomp was promotion in a 'pov only' way.

>  However, regardless of that, and believe or not, that was not the main
> reason for choosing The Last Guardian as winner. It was simply, in the
> opinion of most judges, the best image. Even most of the judges not
> using POV-Ray had this opinion.

   And I agree, undoubtedly. However, I will still say that I have seen as
good in the IRTC. Don't try to talk me down Warp.

>  There were other images which came very very close. If The Last
> Guardian would have been just a bunch of meshes it would certainly
> have been a very difficult choice, but I'm quite sure it would still
> have been in the top4 at least. The creative use of POV-Ray features
> just hit the spot there.
>
>  The Last Guardian is just a superb image, and it also shows that
> superb images are possible to do with POV-Ray without the aid of
> expensive third-party graphical modellers, and it also uses creatively
> the features available in POV-Ray.
>  Shortly, that was about exactly what the povcomp was looking for.
>
>>   I did that, I used POV, but wouldn't have had a chance in hell of
>> winning
>> even if my image was better than anyone elses because I solely use Wings
>> for
>> my models now
>
>  Not true. If you had made a definitely better image than The Last
> Guardian, you would have won.

     BS, and you know it.

>  Granted,

   Thank you.

the competition would have been very hard against superb
> images using more of POV-Ray's features, but the main judging principle
> was still how the image looks. The method of production was only
> secondary.

  Exactly.

>>  My dismal, failed, attempts, (two),

(Three attempts in the end, actually).

> at an image for the POVCOMP cost 'me' money and time for your (not very
> good, inconsiderate, and naive) gain.

>  Nobody forced you to participate.

  No, but you, (povray), asked, (pleaded?). I entered within the rules - but
there was *no way* I would win using an image made up of Wings models only,
however good it would be.

>  It's you who seem quite naive. Were you expecting to win because making
> your image "costed you money"?

  I'd never expect to win in any contest, but trust me, it cost me money. I
'paid' in time to enter this comp. I could have been doing other things at

>  Can't you simply accept that some people are able to do better images
> than you?

 I really can't believe you said that Warp. I'll leave it at that for now.
We'll see what happens.

>>   Say what you like, I know I'm right.
>
>  Self-righeousness is the way to go, yeah.

   Yeah. Self-righteousness in the 'right' way. I have no problem with that.
And nor did other big artists in their day.

   I'm *still* right.

  ~Steve~

 - Warp -