POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.competition : Why I won't enter PoVComp again. : Re: Why I won't enter PoVComp again. Server Time
3 May 2024 11:46:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Why I won't enter PoVComp again.
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 24 Feb 2005 18:50:47
Message: <421e6857@news.povray.org>

421e3e20@news.povray.org...
>  I did that, I used POV, but wouldn't have had a chance in hell of winning
> even if my image was better than anyone elses because I solely use Wings
> for my models now, (who wouldn't if they don't have the time to work out
> ALL the maths that's NEEDED to produce a 'PoV only' image!!)

Of the 5 top images, 4 were made using external modelers or use commercial
meshes. One is mostly a Wings-only image. It's not like using meshes was
considered a no-no in POVCOMP. Some of the comments are dissing mesh use
(thus honouring a long-time tradition in POV-Ray circles, even though
POV-Ray renderings of 3DS models were featured in the previous HOF...), but
overall the results say otherwise and acknowledge that tools like Wings are
here to stay.

The comments on Twin Girls and Model Expo praise the modelling done in these
pictures (and in the latter case it's made with Rhino, which is not a
hobbyist tool, something that people may frown about). If either of these
had won, the competition would have been heavily criticised for promoting
mesh use and a lot would have been said about POVCOMP being the final nail
in CSG's coffin. The mesh vs CSG is an old, heated debate in this community
and this is not going to change anytime soon. However, an image *** had ***
to win, OK?

The winner is a POV-only picture AND it also happens to be a fantastic
picture. As I've said already in this group, what counts is whether or not
the author uses the right tools to reach his/her artistic and technical
goals. The winning image used CSG very wisely with superior results, that's
all.

About the comments: they reflect the opinions of the judges who felt like
commenting on this or that image, but they are not representatives of all
the judges. These are personal opinions, not official statements.

G.

--
http://www.oyonale.com