POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POVRay CSG to polygon based models : POVRay CSG to polygon based models Server Time
2 Aug 2024 00:20:09 EDT (-0400)
  POVRay CSG to polygon based models
From: Matthias Weißer
Date: 24 Feb 2005 14:37:12
Message: <421e2ce8$1@news.povray.org>
Hi

I know this question comes from time to time but mine is more a general one:

I am the maintainer of Eagle3D which contains a set of electronic
components which are all CSG.

To create a quick preview of the PCB I want to export these component
(maybe as obj-file) and render them with openGL.

Now I have the problem how to convert the models. My first idea was to
calculate the bounding box of every component and write them down to the
obj file. This will be the easiest way because I can do this in pure POV
SDL without any additional tool.

Second thougt was to create all the simple objects (box, sphere... )
outside any difference{} and intersection{} blocks and use them as basic
shape in my objs. This will need some external programm but souldn't be
to hard to implement but can produce bad results depending on how the
component was designed.

Third and maybe because it was late I build up a concept which is maybe
a bit crazy (it was really late when this came to my mind). Use POVRay
as some sort of "3D Scanner" to create a cloud of points in 3D which
then can later be triangulated and I have my mesh in a good quality
depending on the resolution of the 3D Scanner. Is it possible to shoot a
single ray into a scene from some given position and get back the
position of the first hit of the ray and also the color at this point?

Thanks for reading and I hope to get some feedback on all my ideas.

--

mat### [at] matweide
http://www.matwei.de