POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Creating 16-bit HFs from C++ : Re: Creating 16-bit HFs from C++ Server Time
2 Aug 2024 00:17:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Creating 16-bit HFs from C++
From: Peter Duthie
Date: 23 Feb 2005 01:13:19
Message: <421c1eff$1@news.povray.org>
Have you considered writing the data out as a mesh2?  Since you're
writing a C++ program anyway, it's probably a lot easier to write a few
floating point numbers out in text format than to write out a specific
image file format.  Plus you get to have a greater degree of precision
than with a 16 bit image file.  Also you can control the mesh smoothing
if you calculate a few normal vectors.

I wrote a C++ program (win32 command line) that takes a raw 32bit
floating point output file from World Machine, calculates the mesh, does
a non linear transform (cylindrical wrapping), calculates the normal
vectors, then spits out a mesh.  Email me if you'd like the source and
you can feel free to use it however you like.

Peter D.