POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.macintosh : anti-aliasing & hdri : Re: anti-aliasing & hdri Server Time
20 May 2024 05:01:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: anti-aliasing & hdri
From: Jaime Vives Piqueres
Date: 22 Feb 2005 13:35:57
Message: <421b7b8d@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   Just look at The Kitchen image carefully to see the ugly post-clipping
> artifacts (these were not taken into account in judging because it
> was decided that these artifacts can be got ridden of in future
> versions of POV-Ray).

   Yes, they are specially ugly on the fridge handles... :( In fact, I
was going to use 3.5 due to this, but it was a bit slower and the
lighting needed to be tweaked again, so I rendered finally with 3.6.1.

>   It is still to be decided what kind of solution future versions of
> POV-Ray will have, but even if a color-bleeding algorithm is not yet
> implemented, pre-clipped antialiasing is still a much better solution
> than the post-clipped one.

   I'm not technically qualified to say which is the best solution, but
I certainly like more the results of pre-clipped aa, and the balance of
pros/cons seems better as you say. In the case of focal blur is
difficult to say what I like most, but pre-clipped focal blur seems a
bit faster.

   Indeed, the color-bleeding you described so well seems very
appropriate for photorealistic images (and I'm now dreaming with it
implemented into POV), but it will be nice to have also the option to
turn it off for other type of images.

--
Jaime