POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Random Object Placement : Re: Random Object Placement Server Time
2 Aug 2024 00:16:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Random Object Placement
From: Ross
Date: 20 Feb 2005 15:54:39
Message: <4218f90f@news.povray.org>
Sven Littkowski wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> assuming I placed by random values (rotation and location) a random-amount
> of objects into a scene, how can i prevent these objects sometimes placed
> INTO each other?
>
> How can I establish something like a "security frame" around each object
> and prevent any other object to be inside that frame?
>
> Thank you in advance,
>
> Sven Littkowski

As someone mentioned to your previous post on the subject, you could try a
combination of min_extent, max_extent and trace. as far as I know,
min_extent and max_extent have to do with finding the coordinates of the
objects bounding box, which is sort of a security frame. But you really
can't avoid math when doing collision detection in povray, because it has
no built in push-button approach. There have been people who do similar
things, you might want to try searching the povray news forums through the
web interface http://www.povray.org/search/

good luck!