POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Shiny reflection on white plane : Re: Shiny reflection on white plane Server Time
29 Jul 2024 22:21:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Shiny reflection on white plane
From: Slime
Date: 20 Feb 2005 03:46:19
Message: <42184e5b$1@news.povray.org>
> I have just recently stumbled upon POV-Ray, and i am really impressed. It
> need it forr something what i thiught will be simple task, I want to make
> an image like this: http://www.keywordsanalyzer.com/images/KA-7-v3.jpg
>
> The problem is the white shiny reflection on the floor.

That's a difficult effect to create. First note that your object doesn't
have any detail near the bottom, so the reflection looks plain. You should
try to add more detail to the box if you want to see the effect better.

Reflection adds to the color of an object. A purely white object can't have
a visible reflection because it's already as bright as it can be. So rather
than make the plane white, I suggest making the *background* white so that
the plane reflects it. However, for a shadow, you need to make the plane
partially dependant on the light source and partially dependant on the
reflection; the sum must add up to 1 for a white appearance. Finally, since
you don't want the direction of the light to matter, you must set brilliance
to zero (so that any illuminated area is completely illuminated). This does
all of that:

plane {
 y,0
 pigment {rgb 1}
 finish {
  // diffuse + ambient + reflection = 1 creates pure white light;
  // we don't need ambient since reflection and diffuse does enough
  // (but if you wanted to lower reflection without making the shadow
  // darker, you could use ambient to fill the gap and keep the sum = 1)
  reflection .4
  diffuse .6
  ambient 0
  brilliance 0 // this causes the angle of the incoming light to be
irrelevant
 }
}

background {rgb 1}

That does most of what you want. The remaining problem is that the
reflection doesn't fade nicely to white like in the image you gave. However,
using a "blurred reflection" might give a similar effect. See
http://tag.povray.org/povQandT/languageQandT.html#blurredreflection .
Another option would be to set the no_reflection flag on your box, and then
make a copy of the box using no_image no_shadow (so that it only appears in
reflections), and layer a texture onto it that contains a pigment fading
from transparent to white.

 - Slime
 [ http://www.slimeland.com/ ]