POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.competition : POVCOMP 2004: Official Results : Re: POVCOMP 2004: Official Results Server Time
17 May 2024 04:04:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POVCOMP 2004: Official Results
From: St
Date: 17 Feb 2005 22:24:52
Message: <42156004@news.povray.org>
"Jim Charter" <jrc### [at] msncom> wrote in message
> St. wrote:
>
>> 'ground-breaking' image I thought I would see
>
> maybe: "Hoped you might see?"

  Well, yes. Maybe I should have phrased that differently. I don't know,
this is hard to do, (explain my thoughts without anyone jumping down my
throat), but there wasn't imo a lot different from what I've seen before in
the IRTC, (apart from one image that wasn't entered), which is why I took
the route I did. Don't get me wrong, PoV is a hard animal to tame, and there
is no way I could produce "The Last Guardian" like Johnny did. Not yet
anyway. ;)

   For the record, I hope that if there's another PoVComp, then there will
be a lot more information on what PoV 'can' achieve, (I certainly HOPE so
for anyone new to PoV. It will be ten times better now that everyone knows
what to expect and do), and what not to do in the event that someone might
'bust a gut' for nothing. I.e., scaling at much larger resolutions. This was
my downfall. I haven't ever rendered an image at high resolutions until
recently, so didn't think there would be a difference, (seeing is
believing!)

  But 'now' I know. That's why I asked if the detail images were important
or not in a recent thread.

> The image was exceptional in ways that Povers can learn from.  It is true
> that we value technical, even conceptual "ground-breaking", but we
> perceive it across one maybe two dimensions. This image resulted from care
> and craftmanship through a range of dimensions.  It's that accomplishment
> over a range of technical and pictorial concerns that is not often
> equalled here.  Modeling, composition, lighting, scale, orchestration of
> detail, space, atmosphere, pictorial language are all used to modulate our
> experience and maintain our interest.

   Jim, your words, and art, always 'teach' me more, and I thank you for
that.

    ~Steve~