POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : glowing gem : Re: glowing gem Server Time
2 Aug 2024 00:15:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: glowing gem
From: Slime
Date: 17 Feb 2005 20:47:29
Message: <42154931$1@news.povray.org>
> I need to simulate a glowing gem. Now I know we cant get things to glow on
> their own and there is something called radiosity that can simulate this.
> have never used radiosity before though. The object in question is just a
> simple blue sphere. what coding can I put to make it simulate glowing?
> Thanks for any help.

Although radiosity can be used with a high ambient value to cause an object
to emit light, it's probably better to just use an actual light_source with
the looks_like keyword. To make the sphere itself appear bright, you can use
a high ambient value or emission media; this was recently discussed briefly
in the thread "Grr... I want it to GLOW!!!" in povray.newusers.

 - Slime
 [ http://www.slimeland.com/ ]