POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.competition : POVCOMP 2004: Official Results : Re: POVCOMP 2004: Official Results Server Time
1 Jun 2024 05:37:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POVCOMP 2004: Official Results
From: Jeremy M  Praay
Date: 17 Feb 2005 15:42:20
Message: <421501ac$1@news.povray.org>
"Jim Charter" <jrc### [at] msncom> wrote in message
> Marc Jacquier wrote:
>

>> Jim, I have to say I love your image!
>
> Thanks man.
>

>> The concept, the modeling and texture are great, and the ape's fur,
>> (though
>> it suffers artifacts which I think made your image downgraded) is
>> wonderfull.
>> Maybe the ressources your  image needed and the time you had did not meet
>> the deadline?
>
> It was underbaked in several ways.  The technical things involved were
> developing on a timeline a little out of synch with this contest.  But
> again, the contest forced me to think about, and lead me to thematic
> ideas, that I wouldn't have gotten to otherwise.  A number of the ideas I
> tried, but were eventually discarded, *will* provide rich creative fodder
> going forward.

I think I agree with the others.  Your scene was great, but the
unfortunately, the image suffered from some technical problems.  I think you
imply that you were overly ambitious.  But I get the feeling that this would
render quite well with a few adjustments, and enough time.

I purposely tried to make my entry rather simple, especially given the
initially short time frame.  With the extra time, I tried to clean it up,
and I added a few more objects.   At this point, I'm embarrassed to ever
display my October entry again.  Radiosity was kicking my behind.  I had no
idea that the lighting setup would be so difficult, and without doing lots
of day-long renders, it was difficult to get a handle on.

Incidentally, I adapted your Wings3D women's shoe tutorial for the boots
near the door.  Unfortunately, the boots aren't the best boots model, but I
couldn't stand the thought of starting over again, and they're not a major
focus of the image.

On a lighter note, I sometimes find myself making that same ape face after I
just finished creating something cool.  I'm such a primate.  ;-)

--
Jeremy
www.beantoad.com