POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Broken glass : Re: Broken glass Server Time
2 Aug 2024 02:22:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Broken glass
From: Maurice
Date: 14 Feb 2005 11:44:01
Message: <4210d551@news.povray.org>

http://www.worldpressphoto.nl/index.php?option=com_photogallery&task=view&id=264&type=byname&Itemid=119&bandwidth=high

>>and was wondering how one might render broken glass as shown here.
>

> Quite complicated stuff. You might want to try and create a mesh of some
> sort, maybe by deriving this shattered structure from a function using a
> solid-edged crackle pattern (or probably, a mix of several differently
> scaled crackles). Cut out the holes with an irregular shape. Either texture
> the glass properly or put high-density media inside (which would take
> forever though).
>
> In general, things like "breaking glass" are difficult to pull off and there
> are universities doing research on this on how to efficiently and properly
> get virtual glass for various stuff like CG, simulations, etc. Not only are
> you asking a "simple" breaking glass, you want to take on the entire
> palette: fractures, cracks, holes... ;-)

Hehe. I wasn't worried about the holes. Its the fractures that decrease
in amount as a function of the distance from a given point that seems to
be most challenging. I was thinking of some kind of white web of solid
fractures in a union with a glass plate. But I haven't a clue how to do
that.

--
Maurice

http://get-me.to/Hendrix