POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Calling external Math functions from .dll or .so : Re: Calling external Math functions from .dll or .so Server Time
2 Aug 2024 14:17:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Calling external Math functions from .dll or .so
From: Warp
Date: 12 Feb 2005 20:12:00
Message: <420ea960@news.povray.org>
> No. I am familiar enough with how programs are written in C to know that
> somewhere in the code there's a string that says "function" and that's
> matched against the input to figure out that you're doing something like
>    #declare abc = function(x) {...}

  So you are talking about different functions than I am. Perhaps you
should read more carefully my replies in order to understand what I'm
talking about.

  If you are referring to the user-defined functions in the SDL (which
is a completely different thing than what I was talking about), then
why implementing a system-dependant plugin system would be better than
creating a better scripting language which can be used to do the same
things and more (for example, imagine that you would like to take
an object as parameter and trace it, or whatever).

> Not at all. All it would add is a new calculation. If you wanted
> something like bozo or bumps or crackle, but a different pattern (say, a
> fractal surface calculation of some sort), you could code it in C.
> Myself, I write code that outputs a PPM map when I want to put a fractal
> heightfield in my images.

> >   A patch is exactly that: You merge it to the existing code, recompile
> > and presto, we have a completely new feature.

> Thanks for that precise summary. ;-)  <Warp> Where would you merge it
> in? What functionality would it supply? How would you invoke the
> feature? </Warp> ;-)

  Sorry, I didn't understand.