POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Calling external Math functions from .dll or .so : Re: Calling external Math functions from .dll or .so Server Time
2 Aug 2024 12:18:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Calling external Math functions from .dll or .so
From: Warp
Date: 12 Feb 2005 05:47:56
Message: <420ddedc@news.povray.org>

> - - It won't remove the need for patches (New rendering features
> couldn't go through such a mechanism, nor could existing rendering
> features be extended easily), but it could provide some useful
> modelling and texturing functionnalities.

  I think this is the most important realization of yours, and exactly
my point.

  The only features you site in that paragraph as possible with plugins
is something which will most probably be possible, in a much easier way,
with the new scripting language of POV-Ray 4. It will probably be
possible to do more with the scripting language than what you could
do with a plugin feature like you described.
  It shouldn't be necessary to list once again the advantages of having
a "plugin" written in POV-Ray's own native scripting language as opposed
to having a C++ patch (or C++ plugin).
  (If you are thinking about speed, don't expect the new scripting language
to be as slow as the current one.)